Sunday 6 November 2011

Bonfire night

Last night was bonfire night! Which in true English tradition meant trudging into a muddy field wrapped in layers of woolly clothes to look up into the sky and omit a few 'oohs' and 'ahhs'. And it was wonderful. The fireworks were stunning, the bonfire was huge, it wasn't raining (a first for me- a dry bonfire night!), and there was even a little funfair. Which for me only meant one thing. Doughnuts. We're not talking your average squidgy, glazed, topped, Krispy Kreme- type, but proper, deep fried, covered in sugar, burn your hand and stick to your thighs doughnuts. I am a sucker for them. And they are only ever right when they come fresh from the fryer of a slightly questionable looking van at a funfair in a field. I kept the boyfriend happy with a bright red, sticky toffee apple (very bonfire night-esque but something I've never taken to), and stood ankle deep in mud, bag-full of greasy, fried, sweet goodness in one hand, sparkler in the other (ok I'm taking artistic liberties here, I didn't have a sparkler- my other hand clearly had a doughnut in it- but doesn't it make a nice image?), and we watched the sky light up with beautiful fireworks. All in all, a lovely evening. And we definitely didn't get ice cream on the way home...



[firework photo from www.bbc.co.uk]

No comments:

Post a Comment

It makes my day reading your comments. Tell me what you think, make sugestions, share your recipes or experiences, or just say hi! : )